Monday, April 16, 2012

Make It Monday- Banana Creme Pie Minis & Whipped Cream

Happy Monday! Hope you had a great weekend.  The weather cleared and it was clean and beautiful here.  Can't wait for summer.


I have a handful of yummy desserts that I always use for parties.  I really need to find some new "go tos" because I'm sure my friends are getting tired of me bringing the same things but with my 1952 oven that doesn't seal, I simply don't have the motivation.  Luckily, these treats are fabulous, extremely quick and simple. I am also including the recipe for the most amazing whip cream.  Really you won't want to buy pre-made again.  This is so fast and yummy.

You need to make the mini banana creme pies eight hours to a day ahead so that the cookie has time to soften and the flavors can blend.  You can also make it in a big casserole dish to simply scoop and serve using the same steps.

Whipped Cream

You need: 
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
A standing mixer. I hate to say it but if you don't have a standing mixer (Kitchen Aide) is won't come out nearly as good.  You won't be able to get the volume or whip that you need.  It will be OK but really there is a big difference.

Add all the ingredients to the mixer attached with your whip and slowly start to mix.  Once all the powdered sugar is incorporated, turn to high and whip away.  Don't walk away- it will separate into curds if you let it go to long.  It should be thicker than generic shaving cream.  Put the whipped cream into a piping bag (or bowl if you are using it for another recipe) and it will save for a good 24 hours- probably longer but I have never tried.






Banana Creme Pie
You need:
instant banana pudding (yes I have made it from scratch, but honestly, it doesn't taste better so save some time),
whole milk
caramel sauce
whipped cream
mini and regular sized vanilla wafers (if you only want to buy 1 box- get the minis)
mini plastic cup (these are from Party City) and
bananas which I forgot to put in the picture above but are definitely the most important part of this dessert

Prepare pudding as directed on package for pie, not pudding.  I use slight less milk so that my pudding is thicker.  Put pudding into a piping bag. Any tip will work.  This is just to make it easier and quicker to get it into the cups. 
 Put just a little dollop of pudding into the cups to seal the cookie on the bottom. 

Put on mini cookie over it and press down.  

Put a another dollop of pudding on top of the cookie.  Add a banana slice (approx. 1/4 inch thick) and again push down.  You don't want huge spaces of pudding.  Fill any space around the banana with pudding and cover the top of the banana with with another small dollop. 

Add a regular sized wafer (or a mini and a half of a mini) and push down.  Add a thin zigzag of caramel (the secret yum ingredient).  Just a little! Too much will take away from the pie but just a little really make this dessert stand out!  

Repeat the banana step but then fill to the top of your cup with pudding.  Make sure to cover the banana so it doesn't brown.


 Seal the entire dessert with your whipped cream and top with a mini wafer. 



Make sure to pin it! 
Have a great week.  Back tomorrow!
XO,
Jenny


12 comments:

  1. yum, yum, yum! this looks great and I love the step by step tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks so yummy! I'll have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so delicious! I would love it if you would share them at my link party.

    http://herecomesthesun-kelly.blogspot.com/2012/04/fabulous-friday-21.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM-my! These look so delish and remind me of my childhood. I think they'd be so fun for a July 4th cookout! Awesome tutorial too. Would love if you'd share on my linky party going on now at Teagan's Travels.

    http://teaganstravels.blogspot.com/2012/04/destination-inspiration-linky-party-11.html

    Cheers, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are adorable! They would make a great snack for my little's one snack day at school :) Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a WONDERFUL idea!
    I just LOVE it

    Can I please ask how you made the instant banana pudding?
    We don't have it here....

    Going to pin-it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a fun idea. It looks really yummy too. I would love for you to link up at my linky party via: http://ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com/2012/04/live-linky-party-10.html to share this awesome post with my readers.

    Mrs. Delightful
    www.ourdelightfulhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look yummy! I love the cups for making them in. I'll have to remember this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my! This looks divinely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look so delicious and cute! I'm definitely pinning this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful presentation on a classic dessert. Please share this on my foodie friday linky today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,

    I followed you over from Wow Me Wednesday and I would love to invite you to share this, and any other posts you would like to, at my Creative Thursday Link Party at www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com. (Link up until Monday 4-23-12)

    Have a great day,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete