Monday, November 26, 2012

Make It Monday- Hot Chocolate Spoons Part 1

There are lots of ways to make these fun hot chocolate spoons!  I have seen the chocolate blocks on wooden sticks, on silver spoons and even just cut into cubes.  This is my version. I wanted to use wooden spoons available here stamped with the word joy but I
couldn't find a stamp with just the word joy and didn't want to use my individual alphabet stamps since I was making a lot of spoons.  What to do?  I bought a stamp with joy in the wording and simply cut away the rest of the stamp.


Once the spoons were stamped, I made the yummy part.

My Recipe is adapted from King Arthur Flour.

You need:
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
3 cups of chocolate chips ( I used half milk chocolate and half semi sweet)

crushed candy canes (optional)
marshmallows (I used starmallows that I have seen in quite a few stores but any kind is fine)

You also need something to pour the mixture into once it is cooked.  I used mini (3 ounce) plastic cups like you get at the dentist office.  You can also use a 8x8 pan lined with parchment or a silicone mold for brownie squares.

Heat the cream and evaporated milk in a sauce pan over low heat until steamy. Remove from heat and add chocolate chips.  Stir and then allow to sit for about ten minutes until is is melted.  Return to low heat a mix rapidly with a whisk until smooth and shiny.  Fill your pan or cups with chocolate mix.  After about 5 minutes, stick in spoon (or stick). Let set.
Once mixture is set remove from mold or cups. I made several small cuts in the plastic cup and then peeled down.  Add marshmallows.  I stuck my marshmallows onto the spoon with a dab of melted chocolate.

Serve on a platter of crushed candy canes or wrap individually in cellophane.

Make sure to come back tomorrow for a special Part 2 of our Make It Monday.
Off to a great week.
XO,
Jenny

8 comments:

  1. How long would something like this last for? If I were to make them for xmas gifts... Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They last in the fridge for up to a week and in the freezer for a few weeks

      Delete
  2. Also.. would you stir these into hot water or milk?? Or something else... you dont say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI, I have same question as Nicola. Do you eat them straight off the spoon, or stir it in a hot liquid? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I was just wondering how many spoons one recipe made when you put them in those little cups. Did you have a sense for how much chocolate it took to fill each one? Thanks, I'm psyched to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you use sweet and condensed milk or evaporated milk? Your ingredients don't match the directions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how long till it hardens i might have done something rong because it has been about 4 hours and it is still not hard

    ReplyDelete