Monday, August 20, 2012

Make It Monday- Brown Rice and Tomato Salad


Don't let this fool you!  Every time I serve this side dish, my friends are surprised by how much they love it.  The dressing on the salad has a great tangy flavor to highlight the nuttiness of the rice and with the tomatoes and basil going crazy in my yard, now is the perfect time for this side dish. As a bonus, it is so quick and easy to make.  This recipe is adapted from the Barefoot Contessa, my favorite cookbook author.

You need:


4 cups cooked brown rice cooled- I use frozen rice from Trader Joe's that I just pop into the microwave.
2 cups cherry tomatoes
8 basil leaves

For the Dressing
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper


Mix all of the ingredients for the dressing with a wire whisk. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Roll up the basil leaves and cut into thin strips.

Add in rice and mix.  Gently fold in tomatoes and basil.  Done! Serve cold or at room temperature.


Variations: add chicken, toasted walnuts and avocado for a complete meal

Perfect for Labor Day parties because there is so little labor involved.  Off to a great last week of summer with my kids!  Already starting to miss them:)

XO,
Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment